Pi’s Blog

My blog about Thunderbird and GSoC 2008

Test Release 0.1a2 Out

I have just released another alpha (testing) version of gContactSync with some bug fixes and a few new features.

New Features

  • Mail Lists in Thunderbird and Groups in Google Contacts are now synchronized.  You can rename, add, or remove groups or add or remove the cards to and from them.
  • There is a new preference for disabling automatic synchronization.  Manual synchronization is possible by clicking on the Sync button in the Address Book’s toolbar.

Bug Fixes

  • During the first use, a directory named “Google Contacts” was made before the name was chosen.
  • Viewing and copying cards from an LDAP server sometimes caused errors.
  • Supporting Google-hosted accounts
  • A few other small fixes

The transition from 0.1a1 to 0.1a2 – Important

You must take a few steps to move from version 0.1a1 to 0.1a2 since there are so many changes.  These steps are very important!

  1. Backup your address books and Google Contacts again.
  2. Perform one last synchronization and then rename the synchronized address book (Right-click it -> Properties and choose a new name).  Don’t update the preference for the name now or after re-installing the extension.
  3. Close the Address Book window
  4. In the main Thunderbird window go to Tools -> Add-ons and select gContactSync and press the Options (Preferences) button.
  5. Click the Remove auth token button and close the Preferences window.
  6. Uninstall gContactSync
  7. Download and install the new version.  The flash tutorial hasn’t changed, so install it like last time.

Known Bug

When uploading a newer version of my flash tutorial on my slow home connection an automatic synchronization started and failed (status bar read Syncing…) leaving this in the Error Console:

Error: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.status]”  nsresult: “0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)”  location: “JS frame :: chrome://gcontactsync/content/HttpRequest.js :: anonymous :: line 115”  data: no]
Source File: chrome://gcontactsync/content/HttpRequest.js
Line: 115

For now, I am not sure what to do about it.  If this happens, try not to sync while uploading a file.  I was unable to view any webpages in Firefox when this happened.

Bug 413260 (Thunderbird 3 trunk build only)

It looks like Bug 413260 has nearly landed, but I cannot claim that this version supports the patch.  Parts do, but I have not tested many of the new features with it.  If you are using Thunderbird 2, 3.0a1, or 3.0a2 this doesn’t affect you in any way.

Advertisements

August 6, 2008 Posted by | GSOC | , , , | Leave a comment

Support for Mail Lists and Contact Groups

I have finished adding support for synchronizing Thunderbird’s mail lists and Google’s contact groups in gContactSync.  It can do everything one would expect, such as reflecting changes in the contacts contained within groups, add/remove groups, etc. except if you rename a mail list or contact group the complementary group or mail list is not renamed (but still syncs fine).  UPDATE: It now detects if you have renamed a group or mail list and renames the other group/mail list.

I will hopefully finish testing and documenting the new code soon and release a new, improved test extension.  The ‘pencils down’ date is near (suggested date of August 11 to cleanup the code, deadline of the 18th).

Please let me know what you think about the existing test version so I can address any issues before the next release.  There are a few bugs I have since found and fixed.  One of the more serious bugs I found was contacts updated in Gmail after August began didn’t always update in Thunderbird, but, afaik, it has been fixed.

August 6, 2008 Posted by | GSOC | , , , | Leave a comment