I have just released another alpha (testing) version of gContactSync with some bug fixes and a few new features.
- Mail Lists in Thunderbird and Groups in Google Contacts are now synchronized. You can rename, add, or remove groups or add or remove the cards to and from them.
- There is a new preference for disabling automatic synchronization. Manual synchronization is possible by clicking on the Sync button in the Address Book’s toolbar.
- During the first use, a directory named “Google Contacts” was made before the name was chosen.
- Viewing and copying cards from an LDAP server sometimes caused errors.
- Supporting Google-hosted accounts
- A few other small fixes
The transition from 0.1a1 to 0.1a2 – Important
You must take a few steps to move from version 0.1a1 to 0.1a2 since there are so many changes. These steps are very important!
- Backup your address books and Google Contacts again.
- Perform one last synchronization and then rename the synchronized address book (Right-click it -> Properties and choose a new name). Don’t update the preference for the name now or after re-installing the extension.
- Close the Address Book window
- In the main Thunderbird window go to Tools -> Add-ons and select gContactSync and press the Options (Preferences) button.
- Click the Remove auth token button and close the Preferences window.
- Uninstall gContactSync
- Download and install the new version. The flash tutorial hasn’t changed, so install it like last time.
When uploading a newer version of my flash tutorial on my slow home connection an automatic synchronization started and failed (status bar read Syncing…) leaving this in the Error Console:
Error: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.status]” nsresult: “0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)” location: “JS frame :: chrome://gcontactsync/content/HttpRequest.js :: anonymous :: line 115” data: no]
Source File: chrome://gcontactsync/content/HttpRequest.js
For now, I am not sure what to do about it. If this happens, try not to sync while uploading a file. I was unable to view any webpages in Firefox when this happened.
Bug 413260 (Thunderbird 3 trunk build only)
It looks like Bug 413260 has nearly landed, but I cannot claim that this version supports the patch. Parts do, but I have not tested many of the new features with it. If you are using Thunderbird 2, 3.0a1, or 3.0a2 this doesn’t affect you in any way.
I have finished adding support for synchronizing Thunderbird’s mail lists and Google’s contact groups in gContactSync. It can do everything one would expect, such as reflecting changes in the contacts contained within groups, add/remove groups, etc. except if you rename a mail list or contact group the complementary group or mail list is not renamed (but still syncs fine). UPDATE: It now detects if you have renamed a group or mail list and renames the other group/mail list.
I will hopefully finish testing and documenting the new code soon and release a new, improved test extension. The ‘pencils down’ date is near (suggested date of August 11 to cleanup the code, deadline of the 18th).
Please let me know what you think about the existing test version so I can address any issues before the next release. There are a few bugs I have since found and fixed. One of the more serious bugs I found was contacts updated in Gmail after August began didn’t always update in Thunderbird, but, afaik, it has been fixed.
I have slightly improved support for Groups. Instead of just showing the groups, you can now either remove a contact from groups that it is in (by deleting the groups in the Edit Card Dialog) and add a contact to existing groups by adding a comma, space, and the name of the group to the end of the Groups textbox.
For a simple example, pretend John Doe is in two groups, Group 1 and Group 2 and you want to remove him from Group 1 and add him to the existing group named Group 3.
Go to the edit card dialog and change this: Group 1, Group 2 to Group 1, Group 3
I found a bug where the card view pane on the bottom would show some extra attributes from the last card viewed (third and fourth email and added screennames) while viewing a mailing list.
And, as a reminder, please check out the test release (which doesn’t have the fixes mentioned above) and let me know what you think. I have instructions in my previous post. The deadline for GSoC code changes is August 18, so I’d like to submit code that doesn’t have any major bugs… I will still continue working on this extension after that date, of course.