I finally added gContactSync 0.2.0 to addons.mozilla.org. I also placed it on BabelZilla so I should be able to add more locales (translations). Since it is new and hasn’t been reviewed yet, it is still listed as “Experimental”.
- All the features of 0.1
- Synchronizes an address book in Thunderbird with contacts from a Google Account (Gmail)
- Groups in Gmail are synchronized with mailing lists in Thunderbird
- Duplicates (multiple contacts with the same e-mail address) are allowed
- Much faster synchronization than 0.1
- Only US English (en-US) until I finish adding features and strings
- Customization of how addresses are synchronized
- Can synchronize just one group (My Contacts), all groups (including My Contacts, Family, Friends, & Coworkers), or all contacts and no groups
- A new fetch-only mode where Thunderbird only receives updates and never sends updates to or deletes contacts from Google.
Bugfixes & Enhancements since 0.1.x
Bugs in italics are new since 0.2.0b3
- Bug 20925 Log the preferences
- Bug 20907 onDrop needs to set dummy e-mails if the target is a mailing list
- Bug 20681 Handle expired tokens
- Bug 20655 Login dialogs should specify and validate an e-mail address
- Bug 20549 Add a hidden preference to disable dummy e-mail address
- Bug 20119 Improve the first login dialog
- Bug 20891 gContactSync ignores the name in the first login dialog
- Bug 20888 Change untyped phone number labels in the card view
- Bug 20833 Add a preference to disable the new phone number labels in abResultsTreeCols
- Bug 20865 Allow synchronizing only one group (My Contacts)
- Bug 20864 The group XML feed is displayed in the verbose log twice
- Bug 20771 Allow name parsing
- Bug 20779 Add a preference to disable auto-delete
- Bug 20853 Too much recursion when the log directory is deleted
- Bug 20852 Illegal rel value due to dummy e-mail address
- Bug 20658 Add version info to the log
- Bug 20739 Add links to the support forum & wiki in the menu
- Bug 20757 Allow read/fetch of Google Contacts only
- Bug 20546 – Search is broken in gContactSync 0.2
- Bug 20644 – Localize all strings in options.xul
- Bug 20656 – Error: gAddressBookBundle is undefined
- Bug 20527 – Avoid HTTP Request errors when the Address Book window is closed
- Bug 20509 – Add Seamonkey support
- Bug 20508 – Consider adding overlay.css to customizeToolbar.xul
- Bug 20487 – Add shortcut to preferences in the Address Book
- Bug 20486 – Improve Address Preferences
- Bug 20352 – Update gContactSync to use Contacts Data API 2
- Bug 20148 – Default groups dont appear in Thunderbird
- Bug 19786 – Support for Google’s ‘Most Contacted’ & ‘Suggested Contacts’
I would love to hear your feedback, whether positive or negative (if polite ;)). My new preferred method of feedback is through the forum, which will hopefully help me stop forgetting to reply to e-mail and let others add their opinions to feedback. Please send logs with the error report form or via e-mail and do not put them on the forum.
I am working on updating the wiki with articles on how to use and troubleshoot gContactSync.
I will be adding some polls here and would appreciate any feedback.
Flash tutorials are coming soon… I’ll write another blog post when they are ready.